Other Stories

Want to read more stories? Download the iPhone or Android app.

Want to help others?

We're looking for contributors to the Stories section of the Today's Step app and site. Ready to be an inspiration?

For more information, read the Story Guidelines.



We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.


Matt C. Try, try again

I was jolted out of a blackout by the airbag of my car hitting me in the face. Later that night, after a long conversation with police officers at my parents' kitchen table, I tried to take my own life. A few weeks later I entered the first of what would be many treatment centers for my alcoholism. I was 19.

After six weeks of treatment, I relapsed almost immediately and continued to live in my addiction for another year. I then returned to treatment for another six weeks and then lived in a recovery house until I was one-year sober. Then I relapsed again.

I could never stop drinking on my own. I went to college at 22 and spent my three years there making up for lost time. I would drink at the slightest hint of a special occasion and for the final two years of the program, I drank every day. Incredibly, I managed to maintain a relationship for those two years as well as finish on the honor roll. I'm not really sure how. I even landed a job in my field of study before I graduated. When I moved off campus, I told myself that it was time to grow up. I felt confident that once I was away from the party-filled atmosphere of college, my drinking would taper off on its own.

I soon found out the opposite: My problem was about to get worse.

Instead of being surrounded by social situations at which to drink, I was now in my apartment drinking by myself. Every day. I drank myself out of my job in less than six months and was back living in my parents' basement. My dad offered me a job working in his warehouse, which I accepted under the premise that it was temporary, until I found another job in my field. After a few months, I found an apartment and moved out, but pretty soon I stopped looking for another job. It wasn't that I enjoyed the warehouse work; it was just that warehouse work was easier than looking for something else. Most important, I now once again had my own place to drink whenever I wanted.

After a year, I tried to return to treatment, but left after five days because I knew I wasn't ready. The following year I tried again — this time, I stuck through four weeks at the treatment center, only to relapse in less than 48 hours. I was completely hopeless after that. I became convinced that there was nothing that I could do about my drinking. It seemed no matter how badly I wanted to stop, I couldn't.

In November of 2009, I quit working and became a full-time drinker. I stayed up all night drinking and smoking weed, and slept during the day, often setting my alarm so that I didn't miss my chance to go to the beer store. I'd spend 23 hours a day in my apartment. The first few hours of my day were devoted to either throwing up or trying hard not to. My television became my only real friend. I was so depressed that I spent most of my nights out on my balcony trying to convince myself to jump, and the fact that I couldn't just made me feel like a coward. Of all the regrets I would constantly mull over in my head, my biggest became the fact that my suicide attempt at 19 had failed.

Then my mother came to me with what was essentially a final offer: I could go to a treatment center again, under one condition — that I stay there for an entire year. Almost without thinking, I agreed.

The first few weeks, I felt just as shitty as always. I constantly wanted to leave. Then one day I realized that there was nothing for me to go back to. I wasn't missing any parties. There were no friends waiting for me to come home. There was literally nothing but a slow death waiting for me back in Toronto. That's when I started to take the program seriously. I did 90 meetings in 90 days. I started to exercise. And the real key: I started to cut myself a bit of a break. For the first time in my life I started to be able to let go of the past — and this led me to be more open about the idea of finding a higher power.

My desperation gave way to a sense of willingness that
I'd never had before.

I got a home group and a sponsor and began to work the steps. I became active in service at my home group. Slowly I started to act more like the person I wanted to be.

It's now been almost a year and a half, and it amazes me on a daily basis how much different my life is now. I work at the treatment center and help newcomers every day. I have two home groups and most weeks, go to four or five meetings. I've lost more than 50 pounds since I got sober and instead of struggling with a flight of stairs I now run half marathons. Most importantly, all of the friends I have today are in recovery as well — I've done my best to surround myself with people who actively work a program.

For the first time in my life, I have hope and optimism for the future. I'm 29 years old and feel like I've been given a second chance at life.

Get our daily newsletter!

Share your story

Please submit:

  • Word doc or RTF (rich text format)
  • 1,000 words (more or less)

Note that we may edit for length and clarity, and the stories will be published with only your first name as the byline for the sake of privacy.